Sunday, August 8, 2010

What Makes You Tick


I am fan. Really, we are all fans. There are many things that bring us joy in life, many many things. Sometimes these joyous things aren't appreciated nor recognized. Each and every day we all need to take the time to stop and smell the roses. White are my favorite. White roses bring me joy. I am a fan of white roses, then I am a fan of flowers and to this I am a fan of growth, the earth, gardening, florists, those who give flowers....get the point. So when is the last time you stopped to remember just why you were a fan to these tangible and intangible bundles of joy.

I like steps, stages, progression, goal-setting. So lets begin with a simple process we can remind ourselves everyday to accomplish.

Step 1: Make a list of the first things that come to mind that make you smile. Choose a category or topic to analyze. Everyday is a new day and with every new day comes a heightened level of happiness in regards to a few lucky joys.

Step 2: Remember to be happy. After-all happiness is a state of mind. You choose.

Step 3: There is a reason why you are a fan of these happy thoughts. What are the reasons?

Easy 3-Step process to examine where your fandom comes from. Why do we care? Well, it's another mind game we pay with ourselves. We choose what brings us joy and you may not want to know why, but I do. I do, so that when I'm having a bad moment- we all have these experiences- I can easily choose to be happy again by remembering what certain things bring me joy and make me happy.

So today, I love football. Everyday I love football, but today I am reminding myself why I love the game. I like the New York Jets and the Detroit Lions. True I am from Detroit, but I have no association with the Jets other than I love NYC and I've witnessed QB Mark Sanchez prove he's more than just a football player. Football brings me joy because I grew up going to Michigan games with my dad. I've always wanted to please my dad. Thank you dad for giving me the joy I experience from watching, playing, writing, talking and learning with football.

So why are you a fan? Why did I choose the Jets, the Lions and Michigan football? If nothing else you will establish a relationship with happy thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment